Part-time Disaster Relief Director
Rapid City, SD
Position Summary: The Director of Disaster Relief oversees the disaster assistance efforts of Catholic Social Services and the Diocesan Disaster Committee and coordinates our efforts with SDVOAD to assist individuals and families impacted by disasters that cannot be addressed on a local level.
Disaster Relief Community Work
- Networks with SDVOAD and other organizations (FEMA, Emergency Managers, Churches, local agencies, businesses, service providers, and other partners) to facilitates greater collaboration, coordination, and communication to maximize resources to meet disaster needs.
- Schedules and/or participates in meetings with SDVOAD, long-term disaster recovery groups and Diocesan Disaster Committee western South Dakota.
- Supports and/or helps to develop local unmet needs committees in western SD.
- Helps assess damage and considers with Executive Director and Diocesan Disaster Committee if needs require a response beyond the local level.
- Works with the committee to develop responses to disasters require a diocesan response and presents the plan to the Bishop for his approval.
- Seeks out professional consultation and supervision with Executive Director.
- Assists in the development of the annual business plan and budget for the department.
- Gives an annual report to the Program Committee of the board.
Disaster Relief Capacity Building
- Be available to familiarize parishes/pastors that have been disaster impacted to assist them with assessing impact, developing an unmet needs committee and to assist with the coordination of needed services.
- Develops forms, policy and procedures needed to assist people affected by disasters.
- Develops trainings (Case Management 101, Long Term Recovery Committees 101), files, applications, wavers, screening tools, expense forms and data collection needed to manage staff and volunteers needed assist to recovery efforts.
- In consultation with the Communication office and the Executive Director develops a communications plan that can be operationalized at the time of a disaster.
- Maintains and develops a central database for volunteers, case managers, long term recover teams and donors need to assist disaster impacted individuals and families.
- Works within the state and particularly within the Diocese to recruit, train, support and deploy staff and or volunteers as needed.
Case Management Duties
- The Disaster Relief Director assists with assessing clients and providing referrals for services in other programs within the agency or outside the agency.
- Establishes and maintains a clear application process for clients to access disaster relief funds and assistance.
- The Disaster Relief Director is responsible for meeting with the Finance Director as needed to approve/deny funding requests for clients.
- Provides supervision and oversite of all case management activities.
- Coordinates development director and grants manager to assist in the acquisition of funds needed to assist with requesting funds and obtaining data needed to report on activities.
Additional Disaster Relief Duties
- Maintains appropriate level of confidentiality regarding clients and other office matters.
- Maintains case records in accordance with the Agency’s policies and laws governing privileged records as assigned.
- Maintains a high standard of professionalism by continuing to stay current in respective field(s) through professional reading, training, and consultation.
- Attends staff meetings and other meetings as assigned by Supervisor or Executive Director.
- Represents Catholic Social Services at relevant professional meetings as assigned by Supervisor.
- Assists with marketing and promoting the Disaster Relief program through Media and relevant social media, as approved by Supervisor.
- Other Duties as assigned by Supervisor or Executive Director.
- Disseminates and helps to update the disaster plan to pastors and parishes and educates the public board parishes about its purpose and accomplishments.
Requirements of the Position
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with community collaboration and disaster relief
- Familiarity with community resources and able to collaborate with others region wide to address needs after a disaster.
- Has a basic understanding of Catholic Social Teaching and demonstrates a willingness to live a personal and professional life in accordance with this teaching.
- Adherence to the Catholic Social Services and applicable professional code of ethics.
- Reports to the Executive Director of CSS and the Diocesan Disaster Committee.
- Needs to maintain effective working relationship with co-workers, other social service agencies, VOAD, Catholic Diocese, parishes, schools, United Way, and other nonprofit agencies.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $23.00 – $25.00 per hour
Expected hours: 20 per week
Schedule: Monday to Friday
- Job Title
- Part-time Disaster Relief Director
- Catholic Social Services Rapid City
- Posted On
- January 22, 2024